A Note to Our Friends
After 25 magical years of being one of the most unique spots on the West Side, Typhoon will soon be folding it’s wings for the last time and heading off to the bone-yard.
The City of Santa Monica has nearly tripled our rent and made business conditions so difficult that it has become impossible to carry on without incurring financial ruin.
Despite the lawsuits currently in motion between the city and the FAA, there appears to be little hope of a reprieve from the city’s anti-airport master-plan, which seems determined to shut down every business at SMO so that the property can be repurposed as a giant investment opportunity for developers.
In some quarters, this sort of activity would be seen as a deplorable abuse of municipal power, but in Santa Monica, it is becoming business-as-usual. It’s just too exhausting and disheartening to continue to throw good money after bad into this never ending shell-game of political brinksmanship.
We have therefore decided to close our doors after election-night, November 8, 2016.
In view of the ways that this historic election-night may bring such radical changes to all of our lives that we may not even recognize ourselves the next morning, we have decided to live out these remaining days in celebratory style, with a month-long Typhoon “End of the World Party” . . .
- In response to popular requests, we’re bringing back many of your favorite menu items so you can taste them one more time.
- Our bartenders will stand ready to conjure up any of our world-famous exotic cocktails, along with many custom-recipes for special nights.
- We’ve got a wide variety of great musical artists and events scheduled for October, into November.
- We’ll have Big-Screen-TV-Nights for the remaining political debates, as well as for one of the most dramatic Election Nights any of us may ever experience.
- We hope that these Final Days of Typhoon will live up to the Very Best Days of Typhoon, and that when it’s all over, our shared memories of Typhoon will live on in all our hearts as a beloved, unforgettable, fantastic dream of how good life can be.
After we close, all of the iconic furniture, fixtures and equipment will be sold at auction, with special consideration for long-time customers who want to keep a piece of Typhoon alive in their own homes.
Before we close, we urge you to join the gang at Typhoon for one last visit to this beautiful room-with-a-closeup-view of Aviation History, before it finally falls to the political wrecking ball known as the Santa Monica City Council (many members of which are up for re-election on November 8th!).
We’ve been proud to serve as Headquarters to multiple generations of wonderful customers. Thanks to all of you – customers and staff – for your many years of loyalty to Typhoon. The best part of this shared adventure has always been the joyful presence of every one of you.